[Internal-cg] revised question for CWG on RZM

Alissa Cooper alissa at cooperw.in
Sat Sep 19 18:06:49 UTC 2015

I agree with Russ’s edit and have a few more suggestions.

> On Sep 19, 2015, at 9:48 AM, Mueller, Milton L <milton.mueller at pubpolicy.gatech.edu> wrote:
>

> QUESTION FOR THE NAMES OC:
>
> The ICG has a question for the CWG based on comments received in the ICG's public comment period. Paragraph 1158 in the CWG proposal notes that the RZM and the IANA functions operator are separate “roles” with distinct functions. However, currently these roles and their associated functions are performed by separate, independent organizations (Verisign and ICANN, respectively). By its reference to “make changes in the roles associated with Root Zone modification,” did the CWG also intend to imply that ICANN or its IFO should not become RZM without being subject to a “wide community consultation?”

Suggest replacing the last clause above with 'did the CWG also intend to imply that ICANN or the IFO should not become the RZM without the proposal to make that change first being subject to a “wide community consultation?”'

> The ICG would also like to know what is meant by a “wide community consultation?” Is it the same as a public comment?

Suggest replacing “public comment” with “public comment period"

> Does it also imply wide community consensus?

Suggest replacing the above with “Does it also imply that wide community consensus would be necessary before making the change?"

> A reply prior to ICANN 54 would be appreciated.

Let’s discuss the timing after we go over our future call and meeting schedule.

Alissa