[Internal-cg] JHA proposed language on RZM

joseph alhadeff joseph.alhadeff at oracle.com
Fri Sep 18 22:06:27 UTC 2015

Alissa requested I post this to the list.

Milton, I may not have captured all the RZM issues raised, I did this
from memory...

A number of comments have raised the issue of RZM as important to the
security and stability of the Internet. All who have touched on Root
Zone issues have asked for greater transparency and opportunity for
comment in the process.  A subset highlighted a concern related to
separation of duties, specifically the potential that ICANN may at some
point take over some RZM functions.  A few comments have raised concern
of the elimination of a separate root zone authorization function and
its symbolic importance to trust. Some have requested that the ICG
undertake a a role or review of that process.  While the ICG accepts
that there are dependencies between the resolution of the RZM issues and
the IANA transition, they were specifically excluded from our process as
they were to be the subject of a separate and parallel process.  We will
pass the specific nature of comments as appropriate, recognizing that
some issues have been dealt with wholly or partially in existing
processes and will take note of the resolution of dependencies.