[Internal-cg] DRAFT message from the ICG Chairs to the CCWG Chairs

Russ Housley housley at vigilsec.com
Sat Oct 24 10:04:41 UTC 2015

I have updated the draft text for the message from the ICG Chairs to the CCWG chairs:

Russ

Dear CCWG Chairs,

During our discussions in Dublin, the ICG recognized that the mission statement in the ICANN Bylaws will be out of date as the CWG-Stewardship and CCWG-Accountability proposals are implemented.  This is especially important since the mission statement is intended to become a fundamental bylaw.  We have no interest in telling ICANN what belongs in the mission statement, and others have already made suggestions.  For example, the IAB offered some text in June 2015 as part of their response to the CCWG public comment; see https://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence-reports-documents/2015-2/iab-comments-on-ccwg-accountability-draft-report/.  The ICG believes that the mission statement must accurately reflect the ICANN organizational scope and structure.  In addition, if making the mission statement a fundamental bylaw is not intended to be an impediment to the separation of PTI and ICANN, then the mission statement ought to reflect the mission of ICANN without PTI. The ICG asks the CCWG make the ICANN mission statement current and accurate before it becomes a fundamental bylaw.

Thanks for your consideration,
 ICG Chairs