[Internal-cg] Timing of ICG/CCWG proposals

Paul Wilson pwilson at apnic.net
Fri Oct 16 21:13:06 UTC 2015

On 16 Oct 2015, at 20:18, Mueller, Milton L wrote:

> [...]

Milton what I’m responding to here is the possibility that the timing
of the CCWG work makes the ICG’s mission impossible, and a complete
waste of time for all.   I think it’s incumbent on all of us to look
at contingencies and find ways for our work to proceed to a successful
conclusion.

>> If so, then when the CCWG does complete, it is only
>> necessary for the 3 communities (primarily CWG) to confirm that the
>> final
>> accountability solution is acceptable to them, and for that to be
>> conveyed
>> formally to all concerned.
>
> We have said in our proposal that by conveying the proposal to NTIA we
> are verifying that the CWG has ascertained that the CCWG mechanisms
> meet its requirements. Therefore we cannot convey the proposal before
> the CWG even knows what the CCWG is proposing.

What we do and what we say are up to us as time goes on.  Surely under
changing circumstances we can also adjust our position.  For instance by
stating clearly with the submission (if the circumstances arise) that
the CCWG work is yet to be finalised, and therefore the
“ascertainment” will occur and be communicated at a later time.

Paul.