[Internal-cg] "Alternatives"

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Tue Jun 30 17:13:02 UTC 2015

Sorry all to be late into the discussion.

I agree that the focus of the request was more to the accountability thread, but I still think that we should at least collect what material is in place for the stewardship proposals.

I'd see the balance for the OCs of trying to ensure that they had as simple a solution as possible, incorporating the minimum of change to achieve effective and accountable stewardship, and garnering general consensus.

I would guess that the NTIA's concerns really sit in these three categories.

At least from the naming functions, there was a reference in BA to alternatives in its assessment (7 models considered, narrowed down to two, and then to a single option which was assessed in detail, always aware that a point of detail might send it back to look at the other alternative).

Much of this assessment was fairly rapid - all the models could be seen as fulfilling the first two criteria, so it came down to, which was the option most likely to achieve general consensus?

This is probably particularly important:  there will be many who will argue that there was a failure in developing consensus because their preferred option was not chosen, or because there was some detail that they considered important that was not fleshed out or was deferred, or because they did not like the answer that those actively involved agreed on.  We've already seen one such input (http://mm.ianacg.org/pipermail/icg-forum_ianacg.org/2015-June/000001.html).

If I were Larry, I would be keen to show that the document gave me the material I'd need to answer the inevitable question about why a particular solution was not assessed.  For us, this is probably no more than assuring ourselves that the focus was on solutions where consensus could be achieved.

CWG Stewardship can answer that quite simply with the discussion at the Istanbul meeting on 26-7 March and by reference back to its first consultation in December 2014.  This identified where views might converge (with more or less pain).

For those more directly involved in the other two OCs' work, is a similar statement possible from their discussions?

Martin