[Internal-cg] Combined proposal executive summary and public comment material

Paul Wilson pwilson at apnic.net
Fri Jun 19 21:56:57 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I couldn’t fully follow the discussion yesterday about this document.
I could not hear well, but I’ve reviewed the transcript to try to
understand the positions of ICG members.

This is a useful start, but I’ve put some thought today into the
overall structure which address some of the concerns i heard yesterday.
I do think we should be clear on this structure and purpose before going
too far into the content (although this first draft will be useful I’m
sure).

So here is a proposed structure, below, with a brief description of the
purpose and content of each section.

I think it may be easier to discuss this separately from proposed
content;  once agreed the content can start to be filled in.

I hope this is useful.

Paul
====

1. Executive Summary

This is a substantial summary of the proposal itself and the ICG
assessment.
Description of ICG’s own processes should be brief.
No background material is included here, except by reference.

2. Development Process

This is a full description of the ICG’s own process to develop the
proposal.
Community proposal processes not described here as they are covered in
the next section.
Should include very limited pre-ICG background material, except by
reference.

3. Community Proposals Overview

This section has 3 sub-sections, for Protocols, Numbers and Names.
Each part gives a summary of the community proposal, with consistent
structure of subsections:
- Development process
- List and brief functional description of main components of proposal
- Summary of ICG evaluation

4. Integrated Transition Proposal

This is the full substance of the proposal as an integration of
community proposals.
Individual detail sections will cover all of the proposal elements:
- common elements including PTI, IANA Intellectual property, etc
- major elements from individual proposals, with IGC’s own commentary
on each

5. Integrated proposal assessment

This is the substance of the proposal assessment by the ICG, including:
- Interactions between community proposals
- Assessment of NTIA Requirements
- Accountability considerations?
- Implementation considerations and timing

6. Conclusion and next steps

This provides next steps with reference to NTIA assessment and
implementation steps.
Process issues e.g. regarding management/oversight of implementation.
Recommendations from the ICG, if any.
Should not cover process for comment on this document, because that is
out of band.

Paul Wilson, Director-General, APNIC                        dg at apnic.net
http://www.apnic.net                                            @apnicdg