[Internal-cg] Regarding a staged transition approach

Drazek, Keith kdrazek at verisign.com
Thu Jun 18 11:20:51 UTC 2015

Thanks Paul and Alan,

I refer everyone to NTIA's most recent blog post of June 16 with guidance on this issue.

Here's the link and relevant text:

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/blog/2015/stakeholder-proposals-come-together-icann-meeting-argentina

At this key juncture, it is timely to not only take stock of all the work that has occurred, but also what lies ahead. I recognize that some stakeholder groups have finalized their proposals and are anxious to move forward. But NTIA will only review a comprehensive plan that includes all elements, and we must let the multistakeholder process run its full course. In that same spirit, I urge all global stakeholders – community members, ICANN Board members, and ICANN staff  – to work together constructively to complete this final stage of the transition. The commitment by the global community to develop a consensus proposal that meets NTIA’s conditions and improves ICANN’s accountability is a testament to the power of the multistakeholder model.

And

In addition to the ICG transition proposal, the final submission to NTIA must include a plan to enhance ICANN’s accountability.

And

All of these questions require thoughtful consideration prior to the community’s completion of the transition plan. Similar to the ICG, the Working Group on Accountability will need to build a public record and thoroughly document how the NTIA criteria have been met and will be maintained in the future.

I am interested in learning more about phased implementation, as that would presumably follow from a complete and consolidated proposal as required by NTIA.

Thanks and regards,
Keith Drazek