[Internal-cg] Stitching things together

Alissa Cooper alissa at cooperw.in
Thu Jun 4 23:33:46 UTC 2015

I think there are a few advantages to combining the proposals as the secretariat has done, with each community’s proposal contained in its own part.

First, as Lynn says, this structure mirrors the oversight structures for the functions today. As we’ve seen in exercising our coordination role, while there are overlaps between the functions, those overlaps are minimal compared to the arrangements in place within each community for overseeing the IANA functions.

Second, given that the names component looks like it will be far more extensive than the other two components, I think it will be quite easy for the numbers and protocol parameters responses to each RFP section to get lost in the text if the responses in each section are interleaved. We all know that most of the world’s attention is focused on names, but there will be some readers who will want the other two components to be easily locatable. Having each component in its own part serves the needs of both kinds of readers, allowing folks who just want to read about names to be able to do so by reading the bulk of the combined proposal, and allowing others to find the other two components easily. I would suggest that we make names part 1, with the other two parts afterward, once we receive the names proposal.

I agree with the need for a preface to the whole document provided by the ICG. I’ll send a separate mail about that.

Alissa