[Internal-cg] Proposal - 24 hrs review

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Thu Jul 30 10:26:04 UTC 2015

I think this looks good.  However, I did have one significant question:

X013 we give the date ("estimated to occur by") as November 2015 for the CCWG work.  This is not in line with the current CCWG schedule, which gives:

*  9 October the proposal should go to the chartering organisations
*  12-21 October for SO/AC approval period (ie ending with adoption at ICANN 54)
*  22 October for submission to the ICANN Board.

It would seem to me that on 9 October we could (and should) ask the CWG for confirmation and expect to have that at the time that the chartering organisations approve the CCWG report (in other words, we want the chartering organisations to do two jobs at the same time - agree that the report meets the IANA transition requirements and adopt the report.  So we have closure at the Board meeting on 22/10.

Shouldn't our text read October to be in line with the CCWG timeline?

I've a small number of drafting suggestions which you can take or leave:

X005:  after "affiliate" (the first time the term is used and as a term from Californian (or perhaps US) law, but one that doesn't seem to be understood or mean much in other jurisdictions) I suggest that we insert ("subsidiary") after the term.

X022:  I'm not sure that this is actually correct.  I think that "The public comment process will identify the support for [or "acceptability of" is probably more accurate] the combined proposal."

X025:  I'm not sure that "independence of these roles from the contractor providing the service" makes sense.  I *think* what we want to say is "independence of the role of oversight [which will be within ICANN] from the contractor providing the service."

012:  "is expressly conditioned on" - is this a common American English formulation?  In British English we would say "expressly conditional on".  (Conditioned has a rather different meaning.)

As I say, I'm not too bothered and don't want to get into a battle of drafting.  X025 is probably the most important as it doesn't describe an important part of the CWG model accurately.

Thanks

Martin