[Internal-cg] Draft webinar deck and outline

Alissa Cooper alissa at cooperw.in
Wed Jul 29 15:24:04 UTC 2015

On Jul 26, 2015, at 6:01 PM, Paul Wilson <pwilson at apnic.net> wrote:

> I agree this presentation looks very good.
>
> A few more comments:
>
> - There is an inconsistency in labels used for “Protocol Parameters”
> e.g.
> Slide 3: “Protocol Database”
> Slide 6: “Protocol”
> Slide 28: “Parameters Functions”

I suggest deleting all the instances of “database” on slide 3 and changing “Protocol” to “Protocol parameters” on slide 6.

> - It is good to have the slides covering “What are the IANA functions related to X” at the start of each section, but there is an inconsistency in the way this information is presented.  Slides 9 and 10 work well to illustrate the domain of the Names functions and then the “flow of control”, but this format is not repeated for Numbers and Protocols.
>
> For Numbers I suggest to replace slide 18 with 2 slides: first to explain the numbers resources as IPv4, IPv6 and ASNs; and then to show the “flow” of allocations of IP and ASN blocks to the RIRs.

I’ve done a very crude mock-up in the attached — is this roughly what you were thinking? I think this could be included at the bottom of slide 18.

> For Protocol Parameters, Slide 24 could be split and explained in a similar way.

The IETF folks did a thorough review of the slides so I’m reluctant to change them.

> I also note that the label referring to “IANA Customers” appears in slide 3 and then again in slide 10, but never again after that.  I suggest that while the general reference is OK on Slide 3, it should become something more specific when it comes to explaining the customers of the 3 communities - i.e. TLD Registries, RIRs, and IETF respectively.

Re slide 11, see my comment to Russ. “Customers” is language from the CWG review of the slides, so I’m reluctant to change it. I think otherwise the terms RIRs and IETF are used in the rest of the deck but if you have specific changes to suggest, please indicate which slides should change.

> - The inclusion of Slides 15 and 16 in the Names section could be confusing.  It is there not because CCWG is specific to names, but because of the dependency of the CWG proposal on that accountability result.  Even though this would be explained by the presenter, I think it needs to be clearer in the slides to avoid confusion. For instance, with an explanatory slide before current Slide 15.

What would you include on the explanatory slide?

> - I like the use of different colours for the different communities; but i observe that the difference is quite subtle and might not be well resolved by all viewers and even by all displays/projectors.  I would suggest to adjust those colours to make them more distinct (also not to use blue for the Protocol Parameters since it does not stand out from the overall blue theme of the presentation).

We have asked previously about changing the colors, but the design firm is reluctant to do this. The OC slides in this deck are part of lengthier decks developed about each OC proposal, so the colors here are consistent with the colors there. I think we should stick with the current color scheme given that context.

Thanks,
Alissa