[Internal-cg] Combined proposal assessment - NC

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Wed Jul 22 12:58:07 UTC 2015

[In case this is still an open issue!]

Like Milton I had missed the CWG reference to WSIS phase 1 (paragraph 83 on page 15 of the proposal).  It is actually included because of the reference from the 2005 GAC (which predated the rather more satisfactory wording in paragraph 63 of the Tunis Agenda).  I guess the inclusion was to make clear national interest and that ccTLDs were not the property, or under the jurisdiction, of the US, which was a major concern for many governments through the WSIS process.

Lynn's assessment in my mind is correct:  "The NTIA does not have authority over other [countries' ccTLDs] today and therefore nothing to "replace" per se."

Hope this helps

Martin