[Internal-cg] Resending: Structure of the final ICG proposal

Paul Wilson pwilson at apnic.net
Tue Jul 14 06:13:53 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I can’t see that we’ve made much progress on the overall structure
of the final ICG proposal document.

So I’m sharing again this proposal that I sent just before the ICANN
meeting.  It’s a proposed “table of contents” with a description
of what should appear in each major section of the document.

I’m not attached to this structure itself (nor to any of the sections)
but I think we will benefit from a clear description of structure and
the purpose of the each of the parts.

Paul.

> 1. Executive Summary
>
> This is a substantial summary of the proposal itself and the ICG
> assessment.
> Description of ICG’s own processes should be brief.
> No background material is included here, except by reference.
>
> 2. Development Process
>
> This is a full description of the ICG’s own process to develop the
> proposal.
> Community proposal processes not described here as they are covered in
> the next section.
> Should include very limited pre-ICG background material, except by
> reference.
>
> 3. Community Proposals Overview
>
> This section has 3 sub-sections, for Protocols, Numbers and Names.
> Each part gives a summary of the community proposal, with consistent
> structure of subsections:
> - Development process
> - List and brief functional description of main components of proposal
> - Summary of ICG evaluation
>
> 4. Integrated Transition Proposal
>
> This is the full substance of the proposal as an integration of
> community proposals.
> Individual detail sections will cover all of the proposal elements:
> - common elements including PTI, IANA Intellectual property, etc
> - major elements from individual proposals, with IGC’s own
> commentary on each
>
> 5. Integrated proposal assessment
>
> This is the substance of the proposal assessment by the ICG,
> including:
> - Interactions between community proposals
> - Assessment of NTIA Requirements
> - Accountability considerations?
> - Implementation considerations and timing
>
> 6. Conclusion and next steps
>
> This provides next steps with reference to NTIA assessment and
> implementation steps.
> Process issues e.g. regarding management/oversight of implementation.
> Recommendations from the ICG, if any.
> Should not cover process for comment on this document, because that is
> out of band.

Appendices:

- Names Proposal
- Numbers Proposal
- Protocols Proposal
- Background documents, announcements etc