[Internal-cg] Thoughts on proposal assessments

Patrik Fältström paf at frobbit.se
Wed Jul 8 11:54:06 UTC 2015

On 8 Jul 2015, at 10:12, Milton L Mueller wrote:

>> Alan, Russ Housley and Russ Mundy point out that the proposal cannot be
>> considered complete since it is dependent on outputs from the CCWG. My
>> question: does that prevent us in the ICG from moving forward with public
>> comment and proposal finalization while we await the output of the CCWG?
>> My personal view is that it does not but I wanted to check.
>
> My view is that we cannot consider the names proposal complete until Work Stream 1 of the CCWG is finished and accepted. I thought we had agreed on this in Buenos Aires.

We agreed the proposal is not complete and because of that can not be accepted without conditions before WS1 of CCWG is finished, correct. But similar conditions exists in the other direction as well.

So, although I agree with you, I do not see it as a blocking factor for us being able to move forward. At least given the data I have now. We should be able to continue with conditions. Conditions that we are to evaluate when both us and CCWG are "ready" with preliminary results. At that time, we know where we are.

The devil is in the details regarding "complete" and "finished". And of course "able to continue".

   Patrik