[Internal-cg] Thoughts on proposal assessments

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Wed Jul 8 08:32:21 UTC 2015

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015, Keith Davidson wrote:
> For what it is worth, I have 4 issues arising:
>
> 2. The wording in the Names Proposal concerning the Intellectual
> Property Rights over "IANA" require redrafting. Since the
> current wording has unanimous agreement from the Names
> community, is it necessary to return the proposal to the
> CWG-IANA Working Group for their redrafting and re-development
> of consensus?

The introduction to Annex S of the names proposal from CWG says
that everything in square brackets is a placeholder.  The section
on Trademarks on page 128 is all in square brackets, and reads as
follows:

        [ICANN will grants PTI an exclusive, royalty-free,
        fully-paid, worldwide license to use the IANA trademark
        and all related trademarks in connection with PTI’s
        activities under the ICANN-PTI Contract.]

The CWG chairs have clarified (see
<http://mm.ianacg.org/pipermail/internal-cg_ianacg.org/2015-June/000697.html>)
that this sentence in square brackets "has not been fully
worked through by the CWG and we have expressly left it to
implementation."

--apb (Alan Barrett)