[Internal-cg] Thoughts on proposal assessments

Keith Davidson keith at internetnz.net.nz
Wed Jul 8 05:51:06 UTC 2015

I would like to think we can find a way to move forward as suggested by
Alissa, but the issues I have is the level of change required to make
the Names proposal acceptable, and whether the change required needs to
be referred back to the CWG for them to achieve consensus on the changes
firstly. Or alternatively does the ICG have the authority to make the
changes without testing the consensus on the changes with the Names
Community. Or alternately alternately, if ICG makes changes and there is
no adverse reaction from our consultation process, that that provides a
deemed consensus from the Names Community.

For what it is worth, I have 4 issues arising:

1. The Names Proposal is deficient in that it does not fully address the
accountability requirements for a post-NTIA IANA, and the final
recommendations from the CCWG-Accountability Working Group need to be
incorporated into the final Names Proposal in order to address these
deficiencies.

2. The wording in the Names Proposal concerning the Intellectual
Property Rights over "IANA"  require redrafting. Since the current
wording has unanimous agreement from the Names community, is it
necessary to return the proposal to the CWG-IANA Working Group for their
redrafting and re-development of consensus?

3. The Names Proposal contains a useful set of principles applicable to
an intended "Service Level Expectation" for IANA and its customers. The
final Service Level Expectations (SLE) are still being drafted. If there
is agreement that the Names Proposal requires redrafting from CWG-IANA
to accommodate my items 1 and 2 above, then also including the final SLE
wording would seem to be appropriate, for the sake of a more complete
and more accountable proposal.

4. There are several specific comments and references in the Names
Proposal to delegations and redelegations of ccTLDs, including
referencing ICP-1, to the GAC Principles and to the applicability of
"local law" which I have some ongoing issues with. Some of my issues are
addressed in the ccNSO's "Framework of Interpretation", which was
adopted by the ICANN Board in Buenos Aires and is now being implemented.
Again, if the items 1 and 2 from my list are significant enough to
require redrafting, I would propose that these issues could also be
modified to reflect the up-to-date status that ICANN now has relating to
the FOI that would clarify and enhance the Names Proposal. As time goes
by implementation of the FOI will add further clarity, so perhaps this
last set of issues is more appropriately dealt with by considering
"friendly" amendments to the Names proposal from feedback in the ICG
consultation process...

I know others have other issues, but provide the above as a starter of a
more definitive "issues list"

Cheers

Keith

Cheers