[Internal-cg] Enquire if CWG(-Stewardship) Would Agree that we Submit

Daniel Karrenberg daniel.karrenberg at ripe.net
Wed Jan 13 21:28:14 UTC 2016

During our call I reflected on Jean-Jaques' question whether we should
(consider to) submit our work product to the ICANN board for
transmission to NTIA.

After more reflection I think we should ask our chairs to make an
inquiry with the CWG chairs if it would be OK with CWG if we did submit.

Reasons:

First and foremost such a step would project an element of progress of
the transition process. From a distance this whole process appears to be
bogged down because the Internet community cannot agree.  If ICG submits
we can project that the operational communities in fact agree on a
substantial part of the *IANA* transition. This whole process may well
die from the perception of stagnation and complications. Let us create
the perception of partial agreement and success.

Secondly if we submit we increase the barrier for re-opening the
discussion about our work product.

I am not at all worried that we would give ICANN additional discretion
by submitting before CCWG does. But we would give them some extra time
to formally consider our proposal. And that is a third good reason to
not just sit and wait.

So I consider it worthwhile to just check whether CWG would consider to
release us from our obligation to wait for their OK. In case they agree
we can still discuss what we want to do. If they don't the question moot
until the situation changes again.

Daniel