[Internal-cg] PTI Slide 2 action items

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Wed Sep 23 15:11:47 UTC 2015

Some changes arising from today's call:

For B1 & B2: Instead of no ICG action, say that clarifications shouold
be made in Part 0.

For B6d, in the question to CWG, change "whether PTI compliance is mandatory"
to "whether ICANN and PTI compliance is mandatory".

I also added proposed text for questions to operating communities.

New version below.

Alan Barrett

----------

Russ Housley and Alan Barrett were asked "to do the next level
filtering for PTI related issues listed in the PTI slide deck, review
comments received, and make recommendations for ICG course of action
(http://icgsec.asia/1FTPuNB)” for those items on slide 2.

Slide 2 contains the following text:

> CRISP / IANAPLAN - PTI
>
> B. (B. Carpenter-2, R. Dara-23, Google-31, Dyn-34, CONAC-50,
> ISPCP-64, IAB-72, J. Panday- 89, IA-103, F. Hopkinson-105, CDT-107,
> P. Nagaraj/G. Varma-113, NCSG-114, Access-116, ICANN Board-121,
> Intel-122, K. McCarthy-128, DSCI-130, CRISP-133)
>
> B1. Clarify that IETF and RIRs will contract with ICANN, not PTI
> B1a Affirmed by 72, 133
>
> B2. IETF and RIR MoUs/SLAs need to clarify that subcontracts are allowed
>
> B3. Details of subcontract(s) between ICANN and PTI for protocol
> parameters and numbers need to be worked out during proposal phase
>
> B6. Performance reviews of IFO; participation of OCs in IFR, CSC
>
> B6a. Proposal should clarify that IFR applies only to names (34, 72),
> CSC applies only to names (2)
>
> B6b. Numbers and protocol communities do not plan to participate in
> IFR or CSC (72, 133)
>
> B6d. Complying with IFR recommendations should be mandatory for PTI (80)
>
> B7. NRO/RIRs not capable of holding contract with ICANN (105)
>
> Clarification exists in comment 72 and 133, but question is whether:
> - Do 72 and 133 cover the issue?
> - Should text from 72 and 133 be included in ICG text?
> - Should text from 72 and 133 be part of the CRISP proposal?

Our comments are:

> B1. Clarify that IETF and RIRs will contract with ICANN, not PTI
> B1a Affirmed by 72, 133

The proposal from the IANAPLAN and CRISP groups were clear that the
IETF and RIRs will contract with ICANN.  This has also been confirmed
in a comment from the IAB (comment number 72), and in a draft SLA from
the RIRs <https://www.nro.net/wp-content/uploads/Numbers-SLA-2.0.pdf>,
and in question 8 of the ICG FAQ <https://www.ianacg.org/iana-stewardship-transition-coordination-group-icg-faq/>

Proposed ICG action: Edit Part 0 of the combined proposal to
provide clarity.  (The FAQ is already clear on this point.)

> B2. IETF and RIR MoUs/SLAs need to clarify that subcontracts are allowed

The existing MoU/SLA between the IETF and ICANN <https://www.icann.org/resources/unthemed-pages/ietf-icann-mou-2000-03-01-en>
is silent about subcontracting, and therefore implicitly allows
subcontracting.  The draft contract/SLA between the RIRs and ICANN
<https://www.nro.net/wp-content/uploads/Numbers-SLA-2.0.pdf> allows
subcontracting with permission.  Question 8 of the ICG FAQ <https://www.ianacg.org/iana-stewardship-transition-coordination-group-icg-faq/>
also says that subcontracting is allowed.

Proposed ICG action: Edit Part 0 of the combined proposal to
provide clarity.  (The FAQ is already clear on this point.)

> B3. Details of subcontract(s) between ICANN and PTI for protocol
> parameters and numbers need to be worked out during proposal phase

This is an implementation issue.  Any contract between ICANN and PTI
would need to satisfy the CWG-Stewardship requirements for the names
functions, and satisfy the IETF and RIRs’ contracts with ICANN for the
protocol parameters and numbers components.

Proposed ICG action: No action needed.

> B6. Performance reviews of IFO; participation of OCs in IFR, CSC
>
> B6a. Proposal should clarify that IFR applies only to names (34, 72),
> CSC applies only to names (2)

We agree that clarity is needed, and note that a similar issue exists
with the terms “IFO” and “IANA Functions Operator” in the
CWG-Stewardship proposal.

Proposed ICG action:
a: Ask CWG-Stewardship for confirmation that the terms “IFO” and IANA
Functions Operator” in the names proposal apply only to the names part
of the IANA functions;
b: ask CWG-Stewardship for confirmation that the CSC and IFR apply
only to the names part of the IANA functions;
c: edit the FAQ and Part 0 of the combined proposal to provide clarity.

Proposed questions to CWG-Stewardship:

Q: The CWG-Stewardship proposal uses the terms "IANA Functions
Operator" and "IFO" in a way that appears to refer to the operator
of the IANA Naming Functions, and not necessarily to the operator
of other IANA functions, such as the IANA Numbering Functions or
the IANA Protocol Parameters Functions.  Please could you clarify
whether or not these terms, in the CWG-Stewardship proposal, are
intended to refer only to the names portion of the IANA functions.

Q: Please could you clarify whether or not the Customer Standing
Committee (CSC) applies only to the names portion of the IANA
functions.

Q: Please could you clarify whether or not the IANA Functions
Review (IFR) and Special IFR apply only to the names portion of
the IANA functions.

> B6b. Numbers and protocol communities do not plan to participate in
> IFR or CSC (72, 133)

The protocol parameters community has made it clear (see comment 72)
that they do not intend to participate in committees related to names
functions.  Alan Barrett thinks that the numbers community indicated
that, if they participated in these processes at all, it would be only
because the numbers community uses the .ARPA domain name, but he was
unable to find a clear statement of that principle.

Proposed ICG action:
a: Ask CWG-Stewardship whether .ARPA is included in the CSC and IFR processes.
b: Ask CRISP whether the numbers community will participate in the CSC
and IFR processes, and whether the answer depends on whether .ARPA is
included or excluded.
c: Edit the FAQ and Part 0 of the combined proposal to provide clarity.

Proposed question to CWG-Stewardship:

Q: The .ARPA domain is used for special purposes.  Please could
you clarify whether or not the .ARPA domain will be included in
the CSC and IFR processes.

Proposed question to CRISP Team:

Q: Please could you say whether or not the numbers community
intends to participate in the CSC and IFR processes proposed by
the names community.  If the numbers community will participate,
then will the participation be limited to the .ARPA domain name,
or will it be broader?  If the .ARPA domain name is excluded from
the CSC and IFR processes, would that affect whether or not the
numbers community participates?

> B6d. Complying with IFR recommendations should be mandatory for PTI (80)

Comment 80 (the english translation) says “We suggest the further
clarification of whether the reviewing decisions or comments from IFR
and Special IFR are mandatory to PTI, and that the manner in which to
ensure that the reviewing comments from IFR and Special IFR can be
implemented be made clear.”

Proposed ICG action: Ask CWG-Stewardship for clarification on
whether ICANN and PTI compliance is mandatory when decisions or
recommendations are made by IFR or special IFR.

Proposed question to CWG-Stewardship:

Q: Please could you clarify whether or not compliance by ICANN
and/or PTI is mandatory when decisions or recommendations are made
by an IFR or Special IFR process.

> B7. NRO/RIRs not capable of holding contract with ICANN (105)

Comment 105 suggests that the NRO is not capable of contracting with
ICANN.  This question is moot because the contract will be between the
5 RIRs and ICANN, not between the NRO and ICANN.

Proposed ICG action: No action needed.

> Clarification exists in comment 72 and 133, but question is whether:
> - Do 72 and 133 cover the issue?
> - Should text from 72 and 133 be included in ICG text?
> - Should text from 72 and 133 be part of the CRISP proposal?

If the CRISP proposal is edited, then the numbers community is likely
to insist on an additional public comment period, so edits to the
CRISP proposal should be avoided if possible.

Edits to Part 0 of the combined ICG proposal are somewhat easier.

Proposed ICG action: See the individual points above.
--------