[Internal-cg] Action item 2, subteam slide 3

WUKnoben wolf-ulrich.knoben at t-online.de
Wed Sep 23 10:36:32 UTC 2015

Thanks team colleagues and Alissa,

as to your question, there were comments explaining doubts – derived from the proposal - where the ultimate responsibility for operational issues may be (PTI board or ICANN board) and asking for clear allocation.

Drawn from the list discussion, I have formulated the two following questions to CWG (to be inserted in the total list of questions) :

6) The comments regarding PTI board fell in two broader categories, one about the board’s powers and another one about which members get selected in the board and how. Some of the comments have differing suggestions as to what actual member selection process should be.

Para 1112 of the proposal says: “As a separate legal entity, PTI will have a board of directors and have the minimum statutorily required responsibilities and powers.” From the underlying legal expertise (Sidley) we read the minimum statutorily required responsibilities and powers being with the PTI board. We’d like to ask the CWG whether this interpretation is correct. In this case we recommend adapting the related text accordingly.

To the avoidance of doubt we also recommend to provide a summarizing text on the “minimum statutorily required responsibilities and powers”.

7) Some comments raise concern with regards to the risk that ICANN board and PTI board could attempt to avoid responsibility for any operational shortcomings by seeking to hold the other board responsible. If the CWG agrees that the ultimate responsibility for the PTI performance should be undoubtedly clear then we would ask to provide us with related text.

8) Several comments requested for an explicit limitation of PTI’s and PTI board’s remit. To our understanding PTI should operationally take over 1:1 IANA’s present tasks and should be limited to this. PTI’s board obligations shall cover the operations oversight. We’d like to ask CWG whether this interpretation is correct and both is clearly expressed in the proposal. Otherwise we recommend adapting the related text accordingly.

The comments re PTI board selection process to my opinion still touch on implementation issues, and I don’t think a question for more detail in the current proposal may be too early. But I’m open to different advice.

Best regards

Wolf-Ulrich