[Internal-cg] GAO report

Mueller, Milton L milton.mueller at pubpolicy.gatech.edu
Sat Sep 19 14:31:19 UTC 2015

I have not had time to read the full 65 page report, but after reading the Exec Summary and scanning the outline, this report should be digested with a huge sigh relief by NTIA and us.

The essence of the report is summarized in these lines:

"GAO identified frameworks for evaluation that could provide tools to guide NTIA's evaluation.
These types of frameworks could help NTIA evaluate whether the transition proposal meets its core goals, and could also be helpful in considering accountability mechanisms that are included in the proposal."

In other words, GAO is accepting the NTIA criteria, and tacitly accepting the objective of an IANA transition, and saying, OK, if you are going to do that here is a framework you can use to assess the proposal developed by the ICG and the so-called multistakeholder community to determine whether it will meet your criteria and whether it will work.

It also means that when NTIA interacts with Congress there will be a more uniform basis for assessing the proposal. (But I admit I have not looked carefully at their framework yet).

Almost one third of the report is just descriptive, educational material about the IANA functions, ICANN, the way NTIA relates to Verisign, etc. Another third is a description of the transition working groups. The last third deals with the evaluation and risk assessment methods.

On the whole this seems to be a constructive and informative report that channels USG assessment of the proposal into rational avenues rather than inflaming political tensions.

--MM