[Internal-cg] GAO report

Subrenat, Jean-Jacques jjs at dyalog.net
Fri Sep 18 20:39:55 UTC 2015

Alissa & All,

my impressions after reading the GAO paper:

- Would this be some sort of writing on the wall? Seen from far-away Europe, it looks like a political intervention ABOVE the level of NTIA. About the ICG Proposal on avoiding capture, GAO writes: "To address this risk, stakeholders proposed changes that would empower the multistakeholder community to veto board decisions related to ICANN's plans and budget and to remove board members, among other things" might be an indication of what the higher political echelons are looking at.

- GAO seems to have doubts about NTIA's ability to evaluate the Proposal against the core goals it set out in 2014: "NTIA has not yet determined how it will evaluate the proposal against the goals".

- GAO "identified frameworks for evaluation that could provide tools to guide NTIA's evaluation", but gives no details.

- The most important point is in the very last sentence, where GAO states that "The Department of Commerce concurred" with its recommendation to NTIA. As NTIA comes under DoC, this means that NTIA has no option but to follow the GAO Recommendation.

- GAO mistakenly states that "a consensus-based proposal they plan to provide to the ICANN board by late fall 2015. The board will then provide the proposal to NTIA". As we know, it has been agreed that ICG will address its Proposal to the NTIA through ICANN Board, without any alteration by the latter.

Again, seen from outside the USA, the GAO statement carries the risk of shifting the goalposts in the middle of the game. I think the ICG is entitled to more information about the methods and tools envisaged by GAO, as well as the possible outcomes (scenarios?).

Best regards,
Jean-Jacques.