[Internal-cg] Akram Atallah's blog post

Keith Davidson keith at internetnz.net.nz
Mon Oct 19 11:11:33 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Apologies if this already was notified to us and I have missed it in the
plethora of recent list messages, but is pertinent to us all....

Cheers

Keith
-----------------
Original link:
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/iana-stewardship-transition-implementation

IANA Stewardship Transition Implementation

It has been amazing to watch how far the community has come in its
efforts to develop proposals for theIANA stewardship transition over the
last 18 months. The time and effort that has gone into the process so
far is nothing short of incredible.

In addition to my existing responsibility as the President of the Global
Domains Division, I have also recently taken on the responsibility of
ensuring a successful implementation of the IANA Stewardship transition,
assuming an approved proposal by NTIA. As such, I have been following
the community discussions very closely and assessing the potential
impact of any shifts in the timelines, while working in close
collaboration with Theresa Swinehart, who leads the IANA stewardship
transition process in the development of the transition proposals and
the community work to achieve a successful outcome.  We have determined
there are numerous operational aspects in this phase of the process and
planning our work must begin now.

Based on my initial assessment of the current proposals, ICANN will need
approximately four months once the proposals are approved by the U.S.
Government to finish implementing all the required elements. NTIA's
contract with ICANN is set to expire on 30 September, 2016, but we do
not know when the proposals will be approved by NTIA.  Therefore, it
behooves us to make as much progress as possible prior to the approval
of the proposals.

We are already starting pre-planning discussions with the operational
communities and the CCWG to factor in the oversight and reporting needs
so we can have an efficient and productive process to meet the quickly
approaching deadline. We are also working closely with NTIA to identify
elements of the proposals that can be implemented ahead of approval
while respecting the IANA contract obligations.

We look forward to a productive working relationship with the ICANN
community to ensure a smooth and timely implementation.

If you're interested in learning more about how ICANN has begun
evaluating the work necessary for implementation, please join us for the
IANA Stewardship Transition – Planning for Implementation session on
Wednesday, October 21 at ICANN54.