[Internal-cg] Continuing / Re-Chartering Thoughts

Daniel Karrenberg daniel.karrenberg at ripe.net
Sun Oct 18 12:08:59 UTC 2015

On 18.10.15 13:34 , Narelle Clark wrote:

> Daniel
> *We* established our charter with a view that this was going to be a more smooth transition than it is turning out to be. I'm not convinced what we wrote is fully in line with what the community expected.
>
> There is an argument that says people expect this group (the ICG) to take a more prominent role in transition. To deny this is more that we haven't stepped up to the community expectations rather than it not being what we were asked to do.
>
> This group is a highly regarded group representative of the community as a whole. It has a significant level of trust and esteem. The community is looking to it to provide some shepherding of this proposal - or more specifically IANA - into its next phase. I doubt there is another group with the background, expertise and respect that could do it.
>
> But don't get me wrong. I'm *not* saying we should decide right now "unilaterally" (your word) to take on responsibility for the implementation, or even some form of project management, or issue tracking. I *am* saying we need to get instructions from the community about what they need and who they want to do it.
>
> The best way to get instructions is to ask for them.
>
> I would have thought the public forum was an excellent place to pose that question and Alissa framed it beautifully in our meeting today.

I am hearing the argument for "a more prominent role in transition".

As I said quite clearly, I have no objection to be asked. I have an
objection to come on strong by asking too forcefully or formally because
I feel This would damage our "trust and esteem".

I have no objection to say in an engagement session "We consider
ourselves done at the point the proposal is submitted and any remaining
queries regarding it are resolved unless we hear strong, specific and
widely supported suggestions otherwise." See also my suggestions for Q&A
in a separate message.

I have an strong objection to put out a statement that says "Please
suggest an additional role for us in implementation." This is what I
heard Alissa say and what I objected to. In fact I am against anything
that sounds like a request for an extension of our mandate. The
initiative *and the specifics* have to come from outside ICG.

Daniel