[Internal-cg] Continuing / Re-Chartering Thoughts

Daniel Karrenberg daniel.karrenberg at ripe.net
Sun Oct 18 08:30:45 UTC 2015

Let me take the role of arguing against group-think. It may help that I
am not in Dublin at this time. ;-)

I understand that some want us to stay around to keep everyone,
specifically ICANN, honest during implementation.

Our current charter does not cover this. This requires a re-charter.
Something like "Regularly compile information about the state of the
transition and report it to the Internet community."

We should not change the charter on our own initiative. If we do that
our credibility will be that of self-appointed vigilantes. Even formally
asking "How can we help further?" looks pathetic to me and it certainly
would weaken our credibility going forward.

Therefore I propose that we should just publish the proposal and say
that we are done and will hibernate until we get the OK to submit it and
answer possible questions about it.

own initiative to do something in addition like "Regularly compile
information about the state of the transition and report it to the
Internet community." The OCs might even offer material support for this
additional work to fund part of the secretariat and/or travel. If that
were to occur we would very likely agree to do that and our mandate and
credibility doing this would be very very strong.

If the OCs actually manage to ask us to do this as a group or with
coordinated language it would be strong evidence of their ability to
coordinate.

Would this be a way forward?

Daniel

PS: While I am on it may I also suggest that we ask all three OCs
whether it is OK to submit the proposal and not just the CWG. The optics
of that look much better to me personally.