[Internal-cg] Our timeline

Alissa Cooper alissa at cooperw.in
Thu May 21 21:37:06 UTC 2015

One item we did not discuss on the last call was our own ICG timeline for finalizing the proposal. We have discussed this at various times but I don’t think we have firmly settled on how much time we plan to allocate for the time after we receive the CWG proposal and before we submit the final combined proposal to the ICANN Board for transmission to NTIA. We need not nail this down precisely, but we do need to have an estimate that we can factor into our response to the letter from NTIA.

I have re-attached to this email the latest timeline graphic, which is also in Dropbox. It includes the following approximate allocations:

*2 weeks for us to assess the CWG proposal on its own
*3 weeks for us to assess all three proposals together and for the communities to make edits if necessary
*4-5 weeks for public comment (realizing that if the public comment period lands in August, we may want to use 5 weeks to accommodate summer holidays)
*3 weeks for us to assess the public comments, which overlaps with …
*2 weeks for the communities to make edits if necessary
*2 weeks to prepare the final proposal

The total ends up being about 4 months.

I think this is an aggressive yet doable timeline. At any step of the process we could get hung up (e.g., if our assessment(s) take longer, if the communities need more time, if the public comments received are contradictory, etc.), but I think we can assume 4 months as an estimate and explain the contingencies when we respond to NTIA. Four months is also approximately the amount of time between ICANN meetings, so if we receive the CWG proposal at or around the Buenos Aires meeting we can aim to finish at the Dublin meeting.

I’d like to have some discussion of this on the list and then use our May 27 call to continue the discussion.

Thanks,
Alissa