[Internal-cg] "Implementation"

Alissa Cooper alissa at cooperw.in
Wed May 20 16:31:56 UTC 2015

On the call yesterday we said we needed further discussion about what it means for the transition proposals to be “implemented” before we can go out to the operational communities and gather input about implementation time frames. Here is the relevant excerpt from the letter from Larry:

"I ask that the community provide us with an update on the status of the transition planning and the associated timeframes, including the community’s views as to how long it will take to finalize the transition plan and implement it after it is approved. We request that you and the three primary customer working groups provide us with your views before the end of June, which will give you the opportunity to discuss these issues with the multistakeholder community at the June ICANN meeting in Argentina. In providing this feedback, please keep in mind that the United States Government will need sufficient time to evaluate the proposal and that all work items identified either by the ICG and the CCWG-Accountability as prerequisites for the transition will need to be implemented prior to the ending of the contract.”

Re-reading this, I think the question we as community reps need to go ask the communities is something along the following lines:

"The ICG is gathering input about how much time the operational communities believe they will need to implement the aspects of the transition proposal that the communities have identified as needing to be completed prior to the expiry of the NTIA contract (e.g., creation of new contracts, agreements, or entities). From start to finish, approximately how many weeks or months do you think your community will need to complete the implementation of these aspects?"

This makes it clear that the focus is specifically on what the communities have decided about what needs to get done prior to the NTIA contract expiry versus what may be done later, and also that the extent to which those things need to be “done” should be defined by the communities.

Thoughts?

Alissa