[Internal-cg] Letter to the ICG from NTIA on the IANA Stewardship Transition

Kavouss Arasteh kavouss.arasteh at gmail.com
Thu May 7 21:37:17 UTC 2015

Alissa,

Thank you very much putting these  initial thoughts to gether for internal
consultation within the ICG

I wish to comment on each paragraph of your intial thoughts as follows

1. Introductory paragraph

*" I wanted to offer some initial thoughts in response to the letter we
received from Larry Strickling concerning status and timeframes for the
transition process*. "

Comments

TKS

2. First Paragraph

*"First, I think it’s important that the communities that we all represent
have an opportunity to provide their views on this topic. I think the best
way to solicit this input would be for ICG members to consult within their
own communities as they see fit and bring that input back to the ICG for
incorporation into our response. Depending on what that input looks like we
may decide that some other arrangement makes sense, but that is my
suggestion at the outset for how to proceed. If people agree with that we
can try to establish some deadlines so that we can get a response back in a
timely fashion"*

*.*

Comments

Yes but without any NOTE from ICG i.e. each operational community will take
the relevant part of the NTIA statement to its community and come back to
ICG with comment, if any

3. Second Paragraph

*«Of course, the ICG has its own distinct role and timing, and that is
something we can discuss amongst ourselves. As mentioned in the letter,
there are, broadly speaking, three tasks remaining with the transition:" *

Comments

* YES*, We need to discuss it among ourselves, first through the mailng
linst and then with one or two conference call( s)

*Subparagraph  3.1,3 2 and 3 3 1. Finalization of the transition proposal.*

*2. NTIA/USG assessment and approval of the proposal. 3. Implementation of
the proposal.*

Comments

Yes, to be carefully examined and analized

4. Third Paragraph
* “The ICG and the communities we all represent have to take care of task
1. The communities or parts thereof may be involved in task 3, so gathering
their input is*

*especially important there. Neither we nor the communities are involved in
task 2, but I think we can safely assume it will occupy a couple months’
time at minimum, accounting for the proposal to be reviewed across affected
and interested parts of the USG.” *

Comments

Yes ,

5. Fourth Paragraph

“The chairs have discussed estimated timing for task 1”.

Comments

With whom?  .It is expected and in fact necessary that all of us be
involved in the discussion

“ *We believe that if we receive the CWG names proposal at or just after
ICANN 53, we can aim to conclude our process and deliver the proposal to
the ICANN Board for forwarding to NTIA by the conclusion of ICANN 54 in
October. Attached and in Dropbox
<**https://www.dropbox.com/s/qsjrybo577ycrhe/TimelineGraphic-v10.xlsx?dl=0
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/qsjrybo577ycrhe/TimelineGraphic-v10.xlsx?dl=0>**>
is an updated version of our timeline showing how we could accomplish
this. “*

Comments

It is a very optimistic view, I suggest we indicate that, we should
undevour to the best of our ability to *conclude our process  by the end of
October and deliver the proposal to the ICANN Board for forwarding to NTIA
by the conclusion of ICANN 54 toward the end of November * Consequently we
need to adjust the timeline and indicate that the timeline is an initial
planning time management which will be periodically reviewed at the
forthcoming ICG virtual or physical meetings

6. Fifth Paragraph

*“if the names proposal slips, or if public comments that we solicit
require further extensive discussion in the communities, then our timing
will slip beyond ICANN 54. How long that slippage could be is difficult to
predict of course. Larry’s letter requests a response from us by the end of
June, so by that time we will have more current information about the
status of the names proposal, but there will still be some uncertainty
about what our own public comment process will generate. That uncertainty
is something we likely want to reflect in our response.”*

Comments

Yes

Since everything till after ICANN 53 is internal , we will review and
adjust the timeline.

7.Sixth Paragraph

*“We’ve also been in touch with the chairs of the CCWG to understand their
timing. Their current timeline is available in the draft they recently
released for public comment <*
*https://www.icann.org/public-comments/ccwg-accountability-draft-proposal-2015-05-04-en*
<https://www.icann.org/public-comments/ccwg-accountability-draft-proposal-2015-05-04-en>*>.
It aligns well with the attached proposed update to our timeline in that
both groups would conclude their transition-relevant work at or around
ICANN 54”.*

Comments

The CCWG timeline is currently a gestimate as it very much depends on the
comment received by CWG and impact on that on the CCWG activities as well
as comments received by CCWG by beginning of June and incorporation of
thaose in the second draft and results of debate at ICANN 53.

*7*. last paragraph

*“I wanted to sketch this out so that we can get discussion going on the
list. We will certainly also have time for this on our next call and in
Buenos Aires but please share thoughts on the list if you have them.”*

Comments

Yes .In fact w*e will certainly also have time for this on our next calls
and in Buenos Aires but please share thoughts on the list if you have
them.”*

Additional Comments

I understand that you have referred to one single public commenting period

I think it is not sufficient as we need to have two public comments period,
this issue was discussed at Singapore meeting and there was general
agreement on that.

Please kindly note that we MUST AVOID sending something to ICANN / NTIA
which does not have broad support of the community. This fact has been
emphasized in NTIA announcement and reiterated by Larry at various occasions

*Regards*
*Kavouss *