[Internal-cg] Fwd: [CCWG-ACCT] Further comment on concerns that ICANN will reject community developed proposals

Subrenat, Jean-Jacques jjs at dyalog.net
Thu May 7 08:06:18 UTC 2015

Dear Manal,

thanks for your thoughtful remarks. I would just like to point out that:

- The Chair of a Board Committee at ICANN (BGC in this case) cannot speak on behalf of the bull Board, nor on behalf of Staff. And although the Chair of that Board Committee is a member of the CCWG-Accountability, that does not give him authority to express the views of the full ICANN Board, when interacting with an outside entity such as ICG.

- as I've already mentioned, the ICG is constituted as an independent body, not subordinated to ICANN. Because of this (important) feature, our formal interaction with ICANN (letters, emails) should be only from Chair to Chair. Allow me to mention an analogy: the Chair of the GAC formally interacts only with the Chair of the ICANN Board.

- I don't see any problem in repetition: if the full Board supports the position expressed by the Chair of one of its committees (BGC here), it will have no problem agreeing to the Board Chair replying to the ICG Chair, using the same terms.

Naturally, my remarks above do not in any constitute a criticism of any individual on the ICANN Board; I just think that proper process contributes to clarity and, ultimately, to accountability.

Best regards,
Jean-Jacques.