[Internal-cg] Fwd: Time frame inquiry

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sat Jun 13 14:12:37 UTC 2015

With regards to the path leading to implementation, the Board believes that it will be necessary for ICANN to follow its normal processes for dealing with reviews.  This will include the normal process for bylaws changes, where the proposed new text will be published for public comment before Board approval, and the normal process of taking public comment for important implementation options and details.

MM: This seems a bit strange to me. As I understand it, we are talking about bylaw changes required to implement the finalized ICG proposal that has been approved by the NTIA. For ICANN to follow its "normal process for dealing with reviews" implies that ICANN itself is in control of _making_ the changes rather than _implementing_ the changes required by the proposal. Publishing the proposed text for public comment seems duplicative given that ICG will have already gone through a public comment process. It also would seem to provide an avenue for changing the proposal in response to comments made in its own process.

So if I understand what is being proposed by ICANN here, I would view it as both duplicative and potentially destabilizing.