[Internal-cg] "Country" field

Keith Davidson keith at internetnz.net.nz
Thu Jul 30 23:03:42 UTC 2015

Following on from this, just for the sake of completeness of facts, we
can note that UK, EU and various other ccTLD codes arise from the
ISO-3166-Reserved list, not the ISO-3166-2letter list. And RFC1591 which
codified the issuance of ccTLDs only stated the ISO-3166 as the source.
There is no specific "ISO-3166" list per se, there are a number of
ISO-3166-* lists. The most comprehensive is the ISO 3166-1-alpha-2-codes
which is well described at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2 which includes the
lists for:
- officially assigned
- user assigned
- exceptionally reserved
- Transitionally reserved: deleted but reserved transitionally.
- Indeterminately reserved: used in coding systems
- Not used: not used in ISO 3166-1 due to intellectual property
- Unassigned

All that aside, I like the proposal that we use "the ccTLD code". And if
we are using the word "country" we might use the words "country or
territory" to be more inclusive...

Cheers

Keith