[Internal-cg] Proposal - 24 hrs review

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Wed Jul 29 11:49:45 UTC 2015

My apologies to colleagues – I have not found the more positive text on not replacing the administrative and clerical oversight role of NTIA for changes to the root-zone content & WHOIS databases that I thought was in the CWG proposal.  I was sure it was in an annex!  Blame short-term memory loss ☹

The point I was trying to make was that, while the independent NTIA role was not being transferred to a new entity (the issue is one of introducing a new gatekeeper), this does not limit the responsibility of the PTI for ensuring that its changes are accurate and properly authorised through its own procedures (and, as necessary, with the procedures of the root-zone maintainer).  But errors would be subject to the defined emergency procedures and would be reported for discussion with the CSC.  I’d also note the idea of a formal study (paragraph 1150 3 a-d) post transition to assess whether additional changes are needed.

So sorry for wasting your time on this – I don’t like the negative language (that we are discontinuing a role) unqualified by the reasons for discontinuation, but fault of finding existing wording, I back down.

Martin