[Internal-cg] Combined proposal assessment - NC

Lynn St.Amour Lynn at LStAmour.org
Wed Jul 15 21:32:35 UTC 2015

Hi Narelle,

on the call today there was a brief discussion on the point you raise below.  As you were not on the call, and we were missing most of the CC reps. we said we would move the discussion to the mail list..

I stated (and I believe so did Joe, Jari and Manal) that I did not believe there was an incompatibility between the Names proposal  Handling of ccTLDs and the NTIA criteria that it "will not accept a proposal that replaces the NTIA role with a government-led or an inter-governmental organization solution".

The WSIS Plan of Action is very broad, and one of the overarching principles (my words, not a formal or accepted description) is the sovereignty of each country.  In addition to the reference you and the CWG-Stewardship proposal quotes, there is also Paragraph 63 in the WSIS Tunis Agenda. "Countries should not be involved in decisions regarding another country’s country-code Top-Level Domain (ccTLD). Their legitimate interests, as expressed and defined by each country, in diverse ways, regarding decisions affecting their ccTLDs, need to be respected, upheld and addressed via a flexible and improved framework and mechanisms."

Further, many models are in place today to manage ccTLD's and many of those models have roles for governments.  The NTIA does not have authority over other ccTLD's today and therefore nothing to "replace" per se.

My .02, others should weigh in.

Narelle, let us know if this address your question.

Best,
Lynn