[Internal-cg] combined proposal assessment

Paul Wilson pwilson at apnic.net
Tue Jul 14 14:39:17 UTC 2015

Milton, I guess you are referring to this paragraph of my document:

> Establishment of the PTI appears to be a prerequisite for the IANA
> transition to occur, and therefore a delay in that process would delay
> the completion of the entire transition plan.  In case of a delay, the
> Names proposal would necessarily be delayed, due to its dependency on
> the PTI; however implementation of the Numbers and Protocols proposals
> could proceed, with ICANN continuing to provide IANA services.

My intention, which I guess should be clearer, is that if the transition
of Numbers and Protocols functions were to precede the establishment of
the PTI, then it is still expected that a transfer of those functions to
the PTI would occur as soon as the PTI is able to take them on.  This is
in the common interest of all communities, not just for names or
“others”.

I am as committed as anyone to the simple singular transition of all
functions at one time, but I must highlight the possibility of delays
that could prevent the PTI from being established within the expected
timeframe.  What is unproductive I think is to suggest ulterior
motivations for my raising this concern, when I am being as transparent
as I can be in this discussion.

Paul.