[Internal-cg] Questions from webinars

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Thu Aug 20 11:39:34 UTC 2015

Thanks Kavouss,

That’s helpful – if I understand you correctly, your concern seems to be that the different communities will use different mechanisms and that these mechanisms might produce different outcomes for similar circumstances:  is that right?  If so, I personally would find it useful to see examples of how you think that the different approaches would diverge.  This is important as we can’t (and shouldn’t) try to impose a common approach on the OCs.  We might need to go back to them if we conclude that the different approaches won’t work together, but I thought that our analysis so far was that the three proposals were different, but coherent.

In the case of significant issues with the IANA functions operator (initially PTI for names and ICANN for numbers and protocol parameters) there is one clear common mechanism:  that the IANA functions operator – initially the PTI – can lose its contract.  For names the community instructs ICANN to issue a RfP to replace PTI while the other communities that can re-tender their contract to move from ICANN to another operator.

Fundamental for the names community is that the framework is based in ICANN – which is where many of the interested parties meet.  That is not the case for the other two OCs.  I would not really expect all three to have the same approach because their communities are focussed elsewhere than ICANN.

You will recollect, though, that the initial model considered by the CWG followed the same approach as the other communities – of an independent organisation that let a contract to the IANA functions operator, and that this approach did not provide a basis for consensus, so was abandoned.

I guess that you are right, that in the names proposal, there is a community wider than just the direct customers.  However, the other OCs also have wider networks to ensure that additional accountability.

So for the moment I still think that the suggested re-wording from Lynn works reasonably well – at least I cannot see any big issues associated with it.

Best

Martin