[Internal-cg] Questions from webinars

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Thu Aug 20 08:41:58 UTC 2015

Hi Kavouss,

I’m trying to catch up following a long weekend away, so I might be missing a bit in this.  However, it does seem to me that all of the OCs have mandates to monitor and oversee the IFO whether directly or indirectly.

Names:  the CSC monitors the PTI directly and can seek to resolve issues with PTI or with the ICANN Board or, if this fails to bring improvements, escalate for a decision on launching an IANA Functions Review.

Numbers:  their relationship is with ICANN and is contractual.  Paragraphs 2075-2077 (contract), 2085-2088 (SLA) and 2089 (SLA principles, which includes review of the IANA operations, and failure to perform).

Protocol Parameters:  according to paragraph 3063 (principles) there are requirements for openness, transparency, and accountability;  reference to Internet community agreements;  a requirement for “capable service;”  and IAB responsibility to define and manage the relationship with the operator.

Together it seems to me that all of the OCs have mandates to monitor and oversee the activities of the IFO.  What are we/am I missing?

Martin