[Internal-cg] FW: [CWG-Stewardship] ICANN Statement re IANA Intellectual Property (IPR)

Mueller, Milton L milton.mueller at pubpolicy.gatech.edu
Sat Aug 15 17:38:57 UTC 2015

Here is a statement from ICANN. Looks to me like they are being cooperative and will help to avoid a problem.

From: cwg-stewardship-bounces at icann.org [mailto:cwg-stewardship-bounces at icann.org] On Behalf Of Steve Crocker

The following is our formal statement on the IANA IPR.  We will post this on our website ASAP.

Steve Crocker
On behalf of the ICANN Board of Directors

ICANN Statement re IANA Intellectual Property (IPR)
We support the ICG proposal and the underlying proposals from CWG, CRISP and IANAPLAN.  The ICANN Board is focused on how to implement the IPR component of the proposal.  The ICANN Board believes that for stability and pragmatic operational reasons, the IANA Functions Operator must have operational control over the IANA.ORG<http://iana.org/> domain.  During the transition, ICANN is prepared to transfer full ownership of the IANA-related trademarks to a neutral third party mutually agreed among the operational communities with the understanding that ICANN, as the current IANA Functions Operator, will be granted license to those trademarks and ICANN will maintain operational control of the IANA.ORG<http://iana.org/> domain for as long as ICANN remains the IANA Functions Operator.  If the transfer during the transition affects the timeline, we advise delay until after the transition.  In that event ICANN is ready to hold the IPR as interim measure but commits to transfer it within 120 days after the neutral third party is identified by the operational communities.
We believe this is neutral and in the public interest. We look forward to hearing anyone in the community.