[Internal-cg] Fwd: [CWG-Stewardship] Comments from Richard Hill

Martin Boyle Martin.Boyle at nominet.org.uk
Mon Aug 3 16:20:54 UTC 2015

Hi Alissa,

That looks good to me.

On his complaints about this not being a "consensus of the global multi-stakeholder community. Indeed, as I have pointed out previously, CWG-Stewardship is an ICANN group, constituted under ICANN rules, so it cannot be considered to be representative of the global multi-stakeholder community," he does seem to miss the point.  The process was based in ICANN through the chartering organisations and that is hardly surprising given the role of ICANN (and indeed the invitation from NTIA).  However, the process was not closed, and was based around developing consensus - no votes and no sustained opposition on compromises that allowed the CWG to move forward.

And that is probably the key feature supporting your third paragraph:  his views had not really gained significant traction - it was one man's voice.

One specific issue that probably needs to be addressed is his criticism on jurisdiction.  This was discussed.  There was general agreement that there was not enough support for proposing an immediate change of jurisdiction and not enough information on what would be the relevant merits of other jurisdictions and the criteria required from a given jurisdiction.  It was also quite clearly not an issue that needed to be resolved to enable transition (these discussions have been going on for quite a few years within ICANN), but something that could be addressed in subsequent work.

Thanks

Martin