[Internal-cg] ICANN Board Concerns about CCWG Proposed Model -- My Assessment

Daniel Karrenberg daniel at karrenberg.net
Tue Oct 13 15:23:41 UTC 2015

[message contains solely opining irrelevant to ICG work]

Milton,

the board actually has power over changes to ICANN's bylaws. The board
does not  need to "be given" those powers.  That is the status quo. Let
us not get into whether this is absurd or not. Last time I checked CCWG
was about evolving ICANN and not about replacing it. If one wants to
change a corporation, that corporation has to agree and that means in
this case that the board has to agree.

I offered incremental steps, with all their drawbacks, as a possible way
to overcome the "untested" and "too great a change" reactions. In my
experience they are a useful vehicle in situations where the direction
has general support but a single step change does not have sufficient
support.

I fail to see how the civil rights analogy fits the matter under
discussion.  Wasn't that about different tiers of government,
subsidiarity and all that? ;-) I have to admit my knowledge about that
history is from afar and I last studied it in high school.

Revolution is something different again: set up a new corporation and
take over ICANN's business/functions. I have not seen significant
support for that recently. ;-)

I am afraid civil war is not an option either if we want to keep a
unified name space. :-) :-) :-)

To summarise: accountability changes can only happen with the board and
not against it as long as we want to keep ICANN as such around.

Daniel